Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Magnificent Magnificent Seven


If you haven't seen The Magnificent Seven (1960), you are missing out! Go rent it, get it on Netflix, find it on youtube, etc! I just watched it for the first time and it was sooooo good! Typically I don't start watching a western flick with high expectations. I just feel like it always takes too long for the story to get going, and I can't seem to connect with the time period that well. However, I have been pleasantly surprised on many an occasion, with 3:10 to Yuma, for instance, and High Noon. And now I am adding The Magnificent Seven to that list of impressive westerns. Not that I wasn't expecting it to be good. In fact I was expecting it to be VERY good, because I know it's a well known classic. Knowing that the cast includes Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen (two personal favorites) raised my expectations even higher. Then the movie started. Along came Eli Wallach, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, Brad Dexter, Horst Buchholz, James Coburn, and a great plot with action, a little romance, and quality character development and dialogue. That was it. Director John Sturges went above and beyond in my opinion. Expectations were blown out of the water! I am NOT exaggerating.

Here's the trailer:


The plot revolves around a Mexican town that is being taken advantage of by a rogue bandit Calvera (Wallach) and his group of men. Some of the village men go to another town to buy and bring back guns to defend themselves for when Calvera returns. Instead, they run into Chris Adams (Brynner) who helps recruit six more men to fight Calvera and save the town.



There are some great action scenes. But, it isn't all shock and awe, so to speak. The plot shows how each member of the magnificent seven is recruited. Throughout the movie, you find out a little more about each of the men. All of the seven men are fighting for hire, but as the film goes on, their other motivations are revealed. The men are tough, but one scene strongly dispels any notion that these "tough guys" have it all. As the movie progresses, you see relationships form between the people in the town and the magnificent seven. If I can say one thing for sure, the film really does a great job of developing the characters.

The Magnificent Seven was actually followed by three sequels, none of which have I seen, but all of which I have heard are not so good (putting it lightly). Yul Brynner was the only actor from the original to play in any of the sequels, and he only did so for one of the following films (Return of the Seven). Without even a few of the original actors cast, I can see how it would be hard to replicate the success of this film. Take Steve McQueen out of the equation and you've already suffered a huge loss. When Yul drops out, its over. And when you have to get a new director, a sequel shouldn't even be considered (although as I say this I realize that the Harry Potter series and quite a few other series have been quite successful with different directors).

Three of the Seven...Still Pretty Magnificent
Elmer Bernstein's score for the film is quite famous, and was nominated in 1961 for the Academy Award for Best Music. This was the only nomination the film received. But awards aren't everything. The Magnificent Seven is going down in my book as one of the best westerns and classic movies I've seen to date (added to a ever growing list). As I said, you have to check this movie out! I'll keep my eyes peeled and post something on the "Coming Soon..." page if The Magnificent Seven is scheduled to play on TCM again.

One more picture of the two leads. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment