Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th!

Happy 4th of July everyone! Hope the weather's nice wherever you find yourself today! If not, it's a great day to sit down and catch up on some classics. I checked out TCM's schedule this morning and would definitely suggest you look at their lineup as well. You should for sure check out "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (1942) with James Cagney, at 8:00pm PT. You have to spend at least one Independence Day watching this movie. I actually blogged about it a year ago, so check it out. I can't say enough about how great of a movie it is! "1776" (from 1972) is another classic I've seen TCM play on the Fourth of July, but I've never been able to sit through it. It's a musical set in the year 1776. What? I never would have guessed it. Haha. But, ya I'm not exactly one for a period musical and a comedy mixed in one. Whatever, I'm sure it's up someone's alley. Anyway, it's at 5:00pm PT. No harm in checking it out. Who knows, maybe you'll appreciate it a little more than I did. I'm sure the story is good, I mean it obviously covers what is arguably the most important year in American history. It's just men singing in between drafting and signing the Declaration of Independence that gets me. I mean can you imagine...




Okay. Maybe you can't imagine. Maybe you'll find this description of the movie intriguing enough to turn on TCM at the appropriate time and watch. Just thinking about it has made me want to give the film a second chance. Haha. Lastly, at 10:15pm PT. if you're not out at a Fourth of July block party or still watching fireworks and chowing down on a piece of American flag cake, grab your remote for some fun and follow the life and times of John Philip Sousa. The movie's called "The Stars and Stripes", obviously after the very famous Sousa-composed Stars and Stripes Forever that you're guaranteed to hear when watching the fireworks tonight. I've never seen this musical, but it sounds great! It's from 1958 and stars Clifton Webb. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a trailer to post. Sorry!

I know this isn't a food blog, but I just had to post this.
I mean, seriously? Can you imagine how talented this person has to be?
All I can say is yum, just yum.
(courtesy of chickabug.com)
So, again I hope you have an amazing July 4th! Throughout the day, I'd hope that you'd think about how lucky we are to live in America and of all those brave men and women who have fought for us to be free. That being said, I thought I would post some fun clips for you guys to check out and a couple nice pictures here and there. Hope you enjoy these couple clips!

The amazing James Cagney in "Yankee Doodle Dandy"









Last scene from "1776"
Makes you realize how much the founders put on the line for what they believed in.
So proud to be an American!






HAVE A GOOD ONE! HAPPY FOURTH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment