Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!



Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you have a great celebration today and enjoy your time off!

I've been giving my number one choice a lot of thought this week. I wanted to pick something perfect. So basically here was my thought process: Thanksgiving is a quintessential American holiday, so it is only fitting that my choice is also a great American film about Americans. Next I think genre. Great American film about Americans? My mind jumps to Western or War/Action, but I'm not particularly fond of watching westerns on holidays and well war/action might be a little intense. So...what about a great American film about regular everyday Americans. No hero needed. Maybe just a nice depiction of the American family. That got me thinking... How about *** ***** ******? That's got to be it!

My #1 movie pick for this Thanksgiving is . . .


"The Human Comedy" is the 1943 film based on William Saroyan's screenplay (Saroyan would publish the novel after writing the screenplay, but before the film was released). And while the title contains the word "comedy" I consider the film to be in the genre of drama. The film takes a very honest look at a small American town and the people living in it during World War II. Most of the story follows Homer Macauley, the middle son of the Macauley family. The father of the Macauley family has passed away, and the eldest son is off at war, so Homer is responsible for watching out for the family back home. There is no plot. The almost two hour movie is a glimpse into everyday life, with very real situations and emotions. One reason this makes an especially great Thanksgiving day movie is that it provides a powerful exploration of the importance of love and friendship in keeping a town alive.


Mickey Rooney plays the main character Homer, and shows off his versatility as an actor. For his performance he was nominated the Best Actor Academy Award in 1944. Other notable actors include Fay Bainter, Van Johnson, Marsha Hunt, Frank Morgan (aka the Wizard of Oz!), and James Craig. It was also in this film that the adorable Jack Jenkins made his debut as Homer's little brother. Later in the film, a rather young Robert Mitchum crops up as well.

"The Human Comedy" was very well received by the movie community. At the 1944 Academy Awards, William Saroyan won an Oscar for Best Writing. And while that was its only win, the film was nominated in four other big categories, including Best Picture, Best Actor in a Leading Role (which I mentioned), Best Director, and Best Cinematography.


I know you're gonna love this film! (If you're looking for it, try HmnCmdy(youtube) or rent it or something). =)

Here's the trailer: I really didn't plan for it to say "The Great American Motion Picture", it just worked out that way! I guess we agree! Haha. Enjoy!


Today I thank God for great movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment