Friday, November 18, 2011

Classic Countdown to Thanksgiving

So Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I'm super excited! That said, I've been thinking about what movies would make the best Thanksgiving movies, aka the best movies to watch on turkey day! There are six days until the big day and I've decided to have a blog countdown to Thanksgiving with three classic films that I recommend. I'll blog on my favorite pick Thanksgiving day, so stay posted.

#3: "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (1938)


This is a great movie to watch with the family, and practically any friend! That's basically why I chose this as a movie you should watch over Thanksgiving weekend. Well that, and there is a feast scene that reminded me of Thanksgiving dinner - haha.

Directors Michael Curtiz and William Keighley prove very successful at delivering an engaging plot and combining elements of action, comedy, and romance in a cohesive manner. Not many films can so easily switch the mood of a scene from comedic to dramatic or vice versa, as this Warner Brother's production does. A quick note, Michael Curtiz actually took over direction of this film, essentially replacing William Keighley who failed to impress Warner Bros. with his direction of the action scenes.

I hope most of you know the story of Robin Hood. If not, I'll let this trailer sum it up:



As for the players of this great epic:
The dashing Errol Flynn landed the main role of Sir Robin of Locksley (originally meant to be played by James Cagney). The carrot top playing the sly Prince John, brother of Richard the Lion Heart, is none other than Claude Rains (I was pretty surprised the first time I noticed this). The fair Lady Marian is portrayed by the always lovely Olivia de Havilland. And appropriately, Basil Rathbone again fills the role of the villian, this time as Sir Guy of Gisbourne.

At the 1938 Academy Awards, the film won three Oscars, for Art Direction, Original Score, and Film Editing. Unfortunately, neither the director/s nor any of the superb actors of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" were nominated. However, the film was notably nominated for Outstanding Production. The winner of Outstanding Production that year was "You Can't Take It With You" from Columbia Pictures.

Lastly, here's a funny clip someone put together. I'm sure it'll make you laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment